Originally Posted by hanco
Originally Posted by Whiptail
Originally Posted by hanco
I took the American Field Magazine for years until about 2004 when I gave up quail hunting.

I used to read it too. I saw the American Field recently got bought by UKC. I don't think we're the only ones who stopped our subscriptions and gave up on quail hunting. I really want to get back into it but I know I'll have to move to another state.

Fire ants have wiped out lots of quail

Fireants are only a problem for quail for about 12 hours in their life, which is right after they hatch. Way more issues challenge our quail populations around the south, which overwhelming involve habitat, though of course about everything out there is always trying to eat them. With the right habitat, many of the predatory risks are significantly mitigated. Few landowners now manage their properties for nesting habitat, brood feeding (insects), food sources, and escape cover. The recipe for having quail has pretty well been determined with all of the research. If the acreage is large enough, in the right geographic areas, and wisely managed, you can have Gentleman Bob.
Anyway, I hope you are soon able to enjoy some good times searching for birds. Few thrills like it!