Originally Posted by Hesp
Was looking for a defensive big game critter load while out on the property.We have good size bears here. Hope to never see one up close. Have a 44 cal mold for a 310gr PB bullet. Cast from my scrap WW it comes out at 314gr. BHN 10.5.. Revolver is a Ruger Redhawk 5.5" bbl. Started out with 16grs of 2400. This is shown as a max load in my loading books.The 2400 load felt a bit anemic . Seems it is only about a 1000fps load. I have some Accurate #9 powder on hand so gave it a try. The Accurate manual shows 18.5 grs of #9 with a 300gr cast bullet at 1320fps. Since my bullet is 14grs over this weight at 314 I tried 18grs of #9. Accuracy was spot on, even for me.Empty brass just fell out of the chambers. Definitely felt the improvement of power. I have powder coated this bullet, which payed off in an absolutely clean bore. Picture won't post . Will come back with picture of bullet. Had to go to POST Image , to get my picture up.[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

WW should cast much harder than 10.5. If you want more velocity use H-110/296. You should be able to achieve 1350 FPS or a bit more.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first