Hi all, I wanted to share something I figured out recently regarding scoping Model 10s, although I believe it applies to most single shots. I realize this is probably old news to some but I may have something useful to ad.

Scope mounts on single shot rifles are usually both in front of the receiver. This makes it difficult to mount the scope as rearward as most would like.

As evidence, most pictures show scopes mounted as far rearward as possible, until stopped by a mount. This tells me, for function and aesthetics many would like the scope to mount more rearward, as I did.

Extension rings are one option; not for me even if they made them for Dakota. The other option is a scope with long eye relief. I spent some time in search of such a scope; in my case limited to Leupold.

Most scopes are in the 3 to 4 inch range for eye relief. The Leupold scope with longer eye relief than any other I could find is the Non-AO 4-12X40 with a whopping 4.9 inches of eye relief at 4X. I wish it was a trifle smaller, but 12 inches long isn't too bad for a scope these days. Placement-wise on the rifle there is room to spare.

I bought two VX-I 4-12X40 (here) because that's what I could find at the time, then switched to a VX-1 and a VX-2, all with the same long eye relief. The Leupold Rifleman 4-12X40 purportedly has the same eye relief.

I believe they also present a more balanced appearance versus a scope mounted as far rearward as it will go...Tom

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Last edited by thomasconnor; 05/05/23.