A while ago I was looking for a #1 that was in a "peep sighted, woods walking" cartridge and all I was finding was #1Bs in belted magnums. Don't get me wrong, I'm quite fond of my #1B in .270 as a pole line gun, but it doesn't exactly fit what I was looking for. Then, I stumbled onto an ad for #3 in 30/40 Krag. Interesting cartridge, fairly compact and handy. Sold! Paid way too much for it, but isn't that always the case?

Black bear season opened up here a few days ago and I quickly found out that in the thick, dark woods, especially at dusk, a scope would be a better choice. Luckily, I had just got this old K3 back from a service and I think it fits the little rifle pretty good.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

I didn't shoot it for groups (I rarely care much on a hunting rifle, let alone a single shot) but it launches a Hornady 220gr at 2175FPS, which I'm quite confident is going to work for anything I'm going to encounter in Ontario.

I have the proper Ruger bases for it and a NECG peep sight, but ran into alignment issues when trying to mount the scope, so I'm "slumming it" with the Weavers until either I get a bear or after the season and have a chance to dig into it more.

It didn't take me long to realize why so many people have either modified or cut and rewelded the lever though...

Cory