CZ has always gotten a lot of flack for their "backwards safety" where you have to pull the safety rearward in order to fire the rifle.

This got me to thinking why it is considered "backwards" and why do some folks find fault with it? For most of firearms history in order to fire a firearm it involved pulled a hammer rearwards but yet somewhere along the way in order to fire a non-hammered firearm they were mainly developed to push the safety forward in order to fire.

What was the reasoning behind the change? Is there something logical behind it that I am missing? I have done a lot of shooting with CZ and for me pulling the safety rearward to fire is no different than pulling the hammer rearward on a rifle equipted with them.

I have no problem pushing a trigger guard mounted safety to side before I fire it, or swiping a frame mounted safety down instead of pushing forward, although I will admit that I once had a semi-auto pistol that required pushing the safety up to fire was a bit disconcerting.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.