Originally Posted by tx270
Where a dually really shines with a tall, heavy load is stability. I don't mean whether is squats or not, I mean when you have a 20 mph side wind (which is fairly common out west), you WILL notice the difference the two extra wheels in back make, PERIOD.

As far as just weight most campers don't actually weigh that much, but they wind catching SOB's.

Never take anyone's advice who says buy a 3/4 ton for a 36' trailer. Unfortunately most 3/4 tons today are made for soccer dad grocery getter crowd, a 1 ton now is about the suspension equivalent of what a 3/4 ton was 15 yrs ago. . At the least get a 1 ton, even if its a single wheel. They don't ride much stiffer than a 3/4 ton. I drive a single wheel 1 ton everyday, it's only a tiny bit stiffer than the 3/4 ton it replaced, still very comfortable.

Bill
You must not be reading the new trucks specks. A new Silveradao 2500 HD, Duramax is rated for 23000, pounds, GVCR. True enough though my first reply was that duallys help sway. As for a soccer dad comment, I run right at 17,500 pounds , camper horse trailer animals and gear.That is hardly a grocery getter.

I think the OP's 1T GMC is rated a 33,000 IIRC.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles