If you can find it, IMR 4320 (discontinued) was the classic powder for .17 Remington with 25 grain bullets. It is what I've gotten highest velocity and smallest groups from. The 25 grain Remington and Hornady hollowpoints I shot in those days are discontinued as well but show up sometimes.

There's nothing wrong with the 25 grain VMAX but some of the early Remington rifles had a 1-10" twist instead of 1-9" and some won't stabilize that longer bullet. 20s work though!!

There are a lot of good powder options. Though some slower powders make more velocity, it can be a pain in the ass to get enough in the case. Thinking here of Win 760 / H414 / AA2700. A slightly faster powder, within limits, is easier to work with. H380 works well but for some reason, Hornady doesn't show load data for it. Hodgdon's web site might. Win 748. AA 2520. Varget or RL15 if you don't mind weighing powder.

Get an RCBS .17 caliber funnel .. the standard .22-.45 funnels don't work.

Remington 7-1/2 primers are great for the .17 Remington and are back in production, available off and on if you look around. I have also used WSR and Fed 205Ms .. but I've also had pierced primer issues with those in some guns which is a good way to destroy a trigger. I've considered the federal 205 AR match primer since it has a thick cup but haven't tried it. CCI 450s if you can't get anything harder.

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...