If you have the time (years usually), consider putting in time learning easy to get or non quota areas. Some folks only hunt prime WMAs and only get drawn every 5-9 years. Then fuss about never getting a permit or getting to hunt. To heck with waiting that long for a good 3 day hunt. I almost exclusively hunt 2 wma that are local, easy to get and neither require a permit after the first 9 days. I generally kill 2-4 deer a year on these WMAs that people notoriously hate (one for its "lack of deer" and the other because their's too many people). I don't even think I'm a great hunter. You just have to put in your time and be persistent, and don't take it too seriously. You're going to get aggravated by somebody, just roll with it and stick it out. It also helps not to be too picky on what you shoot.

I'm not real familiar with the area around Vero, but I don't think 3 lakes is too far from there and there is a lot of private land that borders it that holds a good amount of deer.

I may look at things differently as I am a dog hunter, but don't overlook still hunting in a dog hunt area. A lot of folks are turned off by it, and because of that, the woods away from the roads aren't nearly as crowded as they are in a still hunt area. Also, most folks don't run hounds until dark. The woods usually quiet down and the deer that may have held tight most of the day usually move around a bit. The deer kinda pattern the hunters. If you can get past listening to/seeing dogs, that's what I'd do.

It might be lonely at the top, but it's a bitch at the bottom.