Did some trading at the Kansas City gun show and was able get a new CZ 550 American in .270 Win. On it, I mounted a Nikon Monarch 2.5-10x42 with Mil-dot reticle (early Christmas from my wife (yeah, she's fantastic!)), in the CZ factory rings (VERY heavy duty rings).

It has a new stock design that has just come out on the 550 Americans. The dealer had one of each, so I was able to do a side-by-side comparison of old design vs new design. The new ones have stocks that are a little slimmer and trimmer than what the Americans used to be (sorta like the new Ruger Hawkeye stocks). Also, the new ones have a different checkering pattern, that resembles what's on the new Sakos. And also the inletting is more precise than what it used to be and the barrel is free floated better. To me, it just feels better in your hands than the older design, but YMMV.

I was finally able to get to the range with it this afternoon. As I had hoped, it's a SHOOTER!!! Shown are a few representative groups. I fired several more groups that were virtually identicle in size. I was using 140gr Nosler BT's and 130gr Hornady SST's.

Temp was in low 40's with about a 10 mph wind blowing across the range. I didn't spend much time trying to dope the wind. All groups shown were fired at 100yds. When firing the groups, I loaded three rounds into the magazine, bolted 'em from the magazine to the chamber, and fired all three rounds within a minute or so. I let the barrel cool between groups.

Here are some representative ones:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

NOTE: (Legal disclaimer) The loads shown on the targets were carefully worked up to and were safe in this rifle, but may not be safe or work in yours. You must start three or four grains below the shown charge weight and work up to it in 1/2 grain increments, watching carefully for pressure signs. I am NOT responsible for anything that may occurr while firing these loads in your or anyone else's rifle but my own personal one.

Last edited by Skeezix; 12/03/07.

Bring enough gun and know how to use it.

Know that it is not the knowing, nor the talking, nor the reading man, but the doing man, that at last will be found the happiest man. - Thomas Brooks (1608-1680)