If I'm hunting deer or antelope, I find the Pop Up 28 to be the ideal day pack. It's slim profile slips through dark timber or NE thick hardwoods without getting hung up. At 66 y/o, I prefer not to haul more than a 60# load, give or take, though the pack can easily handle up to 100#. It's a little tank.

For elk hunting I prefer to move up to a Guide Light MT frame with a Sawtooth 45 bag. I still prefer to limit my loads to 60#, even if it means an extra trip, or even two. The haul outs are typically much longer, and the Guide Light MT frame is much more comfortable under a heavy load. Even though it's about 1,000 ci. larger, it still makes for a nice day pack.

I've carried both of these bags home in the airline overheads, filled with boned out frozen meat without any problems.

I would add that there are lots of good quality pack options out there. Also, because of different body shapes, it's best to try as many different brands as possible (with weight) to see what gives the most comfort.

Last edited by eaglemountainman; 05/22/23.

My heart's in the mountains, my heart is not here.
My heart's in the mountains, chasing the deer.