Originally Posted by gnoahhh
Dirtier? Yeah, maybe, but "they" cleaned up Unique in recent years - it's not as dirty as the Unique of old. I too like Hodgdon's shotgun powders in pistol loads, having made that discovery after giving up shotgun sports and re-employing the leftover jugs of Clays and Univeral Clays. But that's coincidental, a matter of expediency and accuracy, not because it's cleaner. I still have, and shoot with, a stash of the old Unique and don't mind its "dirtiness" - after all one cleans one's guns after a day of shooting anyway, right? As for schmeck left in the barrel after each shot, it gets blown out along with the next shot and matters not a whit.

Seems to be a trend, Accurate 2 and Green Dot are both a bit cleaner shooting than they were back in the day.

Nitro 100 is night and day, but I think think it's an entirely new powder they just slapped the name on, so I don't count it. The N100NF looks nothing like the old stuff. That's about the cleanest shooting fast powder I've encountered in my loading, though.

Cleanliness isn't a big deal to me, either. The brass goes in the tumbler and the guns get cleaned as soon as I get home from shooting, so burning dirty isn't really a concern. That's what brushes, patches, and swabs are for 😁