Originally Posted by Calhoun
Drew, from the letter I don't think the ledger recorded the checkering or pistol grip.

"The information extracted shows that this rifle was manufactured in caliber .303 Savage with an optional 24" round barrel and takedown feature. An other entry states no rear sight slot."

That's where Callahan would have included that the ledger said it had checkering and pistol grip logged also. I think the above is all that's logged. Sadly not all that uncommon.

I'm guessing you provided him with pictures or a description of the gun, and that led to the next paragraph - "From the information you supplied and the records, this is a Model 1899-CD".

And I agree with you and Callahan.. it is an 1899CD configuration. I'll post pics of the gun tomorrow. Absolutely gorgeous..

agreed on all points, which is why I was specific to say "Callahan called it an 1899CD"... It was a beautiful gun and I sort of regret selling it... at the time, I thought I was getting a pretty good $ for it and the guy had quite a collection of stunning CDs that this fit in nicely. Who know what it would fetch in today's market.

Andrew