What Ken Howell was passing away, he was giving some of his rifles away to campfire members that use to meet at Quemado Annually. He offered me a rifle, but I passed, feeling it should go to someone who had been part of the group longer than I had at the time.

His 358 Win was given to Scott F. I got to shoot it back at camp. Ken had given some rounds he had loaded up Lord knows how long ago, was a charge of RL 7. I sighted in on a rock, about the size of a cow's head at a little over a 100 yds.

When that bullet it that rock, it shattered into gravel almost. That surprised me...

but what surprised me also, was how little the recoil was from that rifle.

it was of course some custom job, but I was certainly impressed with what it would do, especially with such low recoil in the process...

Never saw a need for a 358, until I fired one... I'm in the twilight of my hunting days now, but If I had found this out at a much younger age, I certainly would have rebarreled one of my Ruger 77 Mk 2s with a 358 Win... I like RL 7 powder a lot and use it to download a lot of short action rifles.

Ken Howell's 358 ( and now Scott F's) was certainly a very sweet shooting rifle.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez