I'd suggest going up to maybe a 7 or 8 wt 10-footer if one wants to get past 60 or 70 ft. I have one of each in Sage blanks that I use for steelhead. A weight forward line and learn to double haul. With good technique one can do those casts with a 6 wt, but things get tougher if one has to fight winds.

If one wants a bit more quality on a budget and is somewhat handy, he might buy a ready to wind kit at about 2/3rds down to maybe 1/2 the price of an assembled rod. I have Sage, Orvis, Meiser, Loomis, and Cabelas rods that I built but could not afford as assembled units. From 6 ft 2 wts up to 16 ft 10 wt Spey rods. Some fly shops sponsor build classes, and with some of their equipment like rod turners and a few pointers, one can do a top-notch custom job.

If one really wants to reach out (like 200 ft), a transition to a two-handed "Switch" rod might be in order. Here's a link to one of the high-end makers. One could take a look at his blanks and kits and something there might float your boat. These are actually shorter Spey rods with a different casting technique, but they will really blast out the line over medium to large water. A couple casting lessons would be in order as it's a bit difficult for us aged single handers to master. Not something that one would cast to shy beaver pond trout, but capable of handling steelhead and salmon.

Meiser link

A more budget minded link

Just an example in the above link. I don't have a dog in the fight, as several other brands/makers offer similar models.
[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

Good luck and tight lines,

Last edited by 1minute; 05/28/23.

1Minute