Kindly tell us exactly the use to which you intend to put such mauser. . Hunting, target, plinking, defense, rack adorning, 'fondling with intent'... smile For most purposes, 'if' you can get by with a quality mauser 98 pattern commercial sporter such as a Husqvarna, just my opinion, you're in considerably deeper clover! smile They're also available out there in 8x57.

The just plain old traditional "war surplus" utility milsurp sporter has been usurped by a fan club "with intent to restore". Some beyond all reason other than "pure "fun value added!" Certainly not of economically "balanced values". But for you potentially, "pay to play" That may well be the marketplace which you find yourself gaming.

Nowadays, you'll be competing with such folks in a climate where "parts value can easily exceed that of the whole". Direct effect in said higher prices. Indirect effect in parts swaps - make 'er fit and perhaps inferior quality mix-master resulting builds!

Opposite extreme of the spectrum is reflected in the term "Custom"! The ultimate abused descriptor for "gloss-over" as factually, ultimately, 'obtuse'. The term is neutral, but where not very specifically further defined such as by attribute(s). Red Flags fluttering.

So you can name your poison, but you'll likely finding yourself facing one of those two ball parks enhancing, "plain Jane" good value "pretty good as multifunction rifle that GI's returning from WWII, made into "functional milsurp legends".

My suggestion that you first answer the "Purpose" question posed above and then seek further guidance of the experts here. I'm not! But after answering some fundamental questions to help them help you!

Below a couple of my more less "traditional" milsurp sporters as of extremes of "minimalist, including cut down mil stock", to fancier commercial stock, commercial micrometer sight, low scope bolt (for whatever reason).

The Mauser 98 patterns as German "AZ" WWI small ring action, the Czech large ring action sporterization from fifties era. (Neither for sale.)

Good Luck and...
Just my take.
John

Attached Images
R195-2U.jpg (25.09 KB, 493 downloads)
R195-11.jpg (14.23 KB, 494 downloads)
R446-1.jpg (32.84 KB, 494 downloads)
R446-11U.jpg (22.78 KB, 494 downloads)