DAveinWV- funny. Smart@$$ but funny.

What JCMCubic said is right. Fixed 6x should be a little brighter. I used to shoot only fixed 6x and had Weaver, Meopta, Leupold, and Burris. No two had quite the exact same view. Brightness was my primary reason for going fixed and consistency was ....a thought. One important feature that was at a premium back in the day was fully multi coated lenses.

Within the last .....15 years say ...could be longer they pass so quickly nowadays....competition in rifle scope brands became wonderfully beneficial. By the time the Leupold Vx-3 came out it offered a plethora of features like better erector setup, glare cutting internals, and full multicoating's that gave a noticeably brighter images than prior variables I tried. I compared it in the field to at least one fixed 6 and no longer saw the brightness benefit where I once did with a simple Weaver K versus a Vari-x.

While I thought I would like having 3-9 for 9x at range time I discovered going into the field at 3x really opened up my view and retained that generous eye box familiar to those using fixed 6x's. This has turned out to be the real benefit. I know you can use a fixed 6x for almost anything but now....I don't. I see so many guys leave the range at 9x and go into the field with it staying there though.

To say I never felt ham stringed by a 6x was almost true but I once had an axis deer show up within a few yards of me. I think a 3x would have been a benefit. I went and bought an open site lever- hey good excuse- for those type shots. Just things to ponder.

Last edited by kenjs1; 05/29/23.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius