Originally Posted by Birdwatcher
One of my proudest accomplishments is taking my son to see that race, 2016.

When you actually get there the races are just a part of it, the people are incredible.

Hardest part is getting there, all the ferries, even for foot traffic only, are booked by the previous summer. But once you do get there….

Taxi to St George’s soccer club ( the pitch is used as a campground) located on the course 100 yards from the finish line/pits area - $10.

Camping fee at St Georges campground - $18 each per night - hot showers free. You can leave anything laying out, theft is practically non-existent.

Great coffee/tea/breakfast kiosk at campground, the cook was also the Chief of Police/Track Marshall.

80,000 residents on the island ( largely retirees), tiny police force, they use magnetic stick on door decals for whatever car they’re using as a Cop car.

Roads shut down at 10am race days, the Chief of Police/Ttack Marshall took my son with him our second morning to inspect the route before declaring it ready.

There is no security in the pits area (located behind the grandstand at the start:finish line) you can wander right through it, talk to the riders and pit crew before, during and after the race. Like everywhere else, this area is crowded but the behavior of the crowd, motorcycle loonies all, is excellent.

Great conversation, cheap fish and chips, great pubs in Douglas.

If any of the above is hard to believe, consider how improbable the whole event, as it is run, is. If it wasn’t happening you wouldn’t believe it possible.

The only downside was, tho I had booked the ferry for just foot traffic only (no motorcycle or car) the previous August, the only room left was on a 5am ferry. No worries, it was already light out by then and the same taxi (actually a member of the soccer club using his own car with magnetic door decals) drove up to take us to the ferry terminal. $10 again.

If anyone can EVER make it to that race I’d highly recommend it.

Thanks for the info. Wife and I are already in talks with Duke Travel for a package deal for next years race. We were supposed to go a couple of years ago for my birthday present but Covid F'ed that up too! We can't wait!!