Originally Posted by Dutch
All I know of cpr is what I read on a one page pamphlet. When one of my dogs got caught in a Conibear, she was gone by the time I managed to get her out. Did chest compressions for about five minutes, and she woke up.

She was looking at pheasants by the time I got to the vet. And I didn’t have to tell my daughter her dog was dead.
Funny Dutch!

Only in that I can tell the same story about a dairy cow. The old girl had got into the alfalfa field and was down with bloat by the time we got to her.

Dad stuck her with a small hunting knife. Then opened her up for about twelve inches and started pulling wads of alfalfa out of her stomach. But by the time he got that far she had quit breathing, not sure about the pulse.

I took a running jump and landed right on her chest, then jumped up and down for about five minutes. She started coughing and came back to life.

The vet came out and sewed up her stomach, filled her full of antibiotic powder, and then sewed up the skin. We kept her full of Combiotic for the next three or four weeks.

She never was good for much after that, but she lived. We sold her as a canner a year later. Probably just about paid for the vet bill.

Then there was the time I saw a calf born, but not breathing. This old gal got down on her knees, and started mouth to nostril resuscitation on that calf. The calf started breathing and we took it to the barn. As soon as we weaned it from the bottle, we told the old gal to come get it, as it belonged to her.

People who choose to brew up their own storms bitch loudest about the rain.