Just finished this center screw conversion on a Model 70. It came already having been pillar bedded in a McMillan stock. The pillar bedding needed a few minor tweaks but was really pretty well done with the exception of retaining the center screw.

BTW, the areas of attention are commonly seen here with posted pics of 'finished' Model 70 bedding jobs. wink

The gun shot very well (280 AI) with the screw loosened up...but pretty soon the screw would back out. With the screw tightened up, accuracy went South big time.

Indicator zeroed:
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

With either the front or rear action screws loosened, it showed .027 movement:

Center screw mod done. An short aluminum pillar is inletted into the stock and epoxied in. A flat headed Allen head cap screw goes into the pillar. The face and O.D. of the screw head are reprofiled so it fits in the stock 82 degree screw recess:

Indicator zeroed after the modification:

Loosening either the front or rear action screws now shows .003 movement...about as good as a Model 70 gets.

This is an easy, simple tweak that can really make a difference in a Model 70. All in all, a fun project on neat rifle for a good guy.

Good shootin' -Al

Forbidden Zoner