my dad was a hunter/fisher when the work was done, except deer season, then he was avid hunter. he was exceptional shooting pheasants and grouse. rabbits tho, they were safe. he couldn't hit a rabbit if his life depended on it. he had a Remington m760 in '06, Remington m572 in 22LR and a Mossberg m500 in 12 ga until he got to reloading. he only fished for trout, but he would let them go (i'd be catch/releaser too). i have alot of memories of my dad being hunting and fishing.

he shot open sights till his eyes said no more of that, use the scope, dang it!!! he had a custom 6' Ultralite fiberglass fishing rod that was made in 1970s. the "feel" you got was unbelievable. he loved that rod, even when he smashed it on the back of the truck cab. he got teary eyed when he did that. the last 6" of the fishing rod or so was cut/smashed off when he lowed truck cab window. we'd looked around everywhere (even the "danged interweb-type thingy" lol!!!) "you couldn't fix fiberglass, but if you send me X-amout of dollars i'll send you a 6' Ultralite carbon fishing rod. " says the custom rod makers. i got him a 6' St Croix Ultralite rod and while it wasn't the same, he liked it. (later, he took the fiberglass rod to my friend who fixed it and it is now buried with my dad).

my dad was my "first" student on handloading. (i've done 6 or 7 "students" and i was mentored by my gunsmith (RIP) on handloading) it's a good thing i did, he must went thru 800-900 rounds on his first TC Contender in 7x30 Waters (14" muzzle brake barrel) that summer. man, could he shoot. i have alot of memories left.

"Russia sucks."
---- Me, US Army (retired) 12B & 51B

Russian Admiral said, after the Moskva sank, "we have the world's worst navy but we aren't as bad as our army".