Originally Posted by BC30cal
MCMark;
Good afternoon, I hope you all are having seasonally appropriate weather and you're all well.

Admittedly I am not a fan of muzzle brakes on my personal hunting rifles because of the spot and stalk so wearing anything other than noise cancelling headphones wouldn't really work for me.

That said, we've fooled a wee bit with an Erik Cortina tunable muzzle brake and on that rifle - Sako S20 in 6.5PRC - we could tell it worked.

Also having shot next to braked rifles, I can see that if you're shooting prone or heaven forbid off the hood of a pickup, one doesn't want a brake that vents downward at all.

Speaking of that, pay attention to the redirected blast with braked rifles, as said 6.5PRC did move my range box which was to the rear of the rifle about a foot and a couple feet to the right. But it'd move the range box - which was empty for sure - about an inch with each shot. We thought that was kind of humorous, you know applied physics and all that. laugh

While it's not the most svelte one out there, the MDT one at least is made in Canada so there'd be no exchange or Canada Customs to contend with.

If you've not done so already, see if you can budget a new Timney trigger for the 788 at the same time. The last one I found was at Western Gun Parts and I want to say it ate up most of $200, but my goodness it smartened up the pull compared to the original.

Hope that helped and was useful, good luck with the project whichever way you proceed.

Dwayne
Hi Dwayne,

That's interesting, I guess the amount of gassed directed to the rear by the break is a good amount!
I don't think I'm going to be doing any prone type shooting? Going to be using a bench to do most of the practice with.
Yes, I found the MDT break, looks like a interesting one.
Yes, I found that 788 trigger, might be something to look at buying!

I do know that a break will be helpful with muzzle lift, right now it's rising about 5-6" or so. Not that great for taking another shot on target.
Mark

Proud Left hander!