I have a L691 in .375 H&H. The main difference with the L61, aka AV was that it no longer had an integral recoil lug. A more subtle change was the location of the ejector slot on the bolt. With long cartridges it can cause the empty case (eg H&H) to hit the scope turret. It only happens on an empty magazine though. With some rounds in the mag it will eject sideways cause of the pressure from the lower rounds.

Pretty stupid to change something that was previously working perfectly.

Anyway I believe it was the accountant's special. The L491, L591 & L691 were all 1991 revisions to the action. Removeable aluminium recoil lug and whereas Sako actions up to this time were scaled ie. in both length & bolt /receiver diameter after 91 it was scaled only on bolt length. The L491 suffers most obviously.

But not all bad courtesy of HS precision & Magnum Research that built customs on these actions I got an after market stock that just drops in. You can't get that for a L61 from HS & McMillan are hard to get here.

For a custom a L61 would be better IMHO. My L691 shoots bloody marvelously. I think the other changes were as to barrel contours and the like with the L691 going very light for a .375H&H. Would have liked more meat there & that is partly the reason to add the HS stock which adds 1/2 pound over factory wood stock. 8.5lbs scoped with the wood stock so great mountain rifle if you need that sort of punch in a mountain rifle.

Like all Sakos, actions are real smooth & slick. Finishing is excellent. My L691 stock has cast off too & was duplicated in the HS stock. Great fit for me. Mine has a front sight but no rear sight. (Huh what were these Finns drinking at the time). I don't know if it came with one as I bought mine 2nd hand but I managed to buy a Sko adjustable peep sight one for $29 from a shop having a cleanout. It fits on the rear dovetail.

Some people knock the dovetail scope mounting system but I like them as they make the scope sort of quick detachable even if they don't have levers. Get the optilocks not the leupold mounts (they cost less but not as substantial as the Sakos). I understand Talleys make some too, & you know that Talleys are just excellent.