Congratulations on you up coming hunt, nice choice of rifles/cartridges…… and I’m wishing you the very best in all aspects of your hunt! I applaud you for using your firearms knowledge in putting together a very practical firearms duo for your hunt!

As far as the “pretty rifles” and African hunts……..many years ago an African hunt was pretty much a rich man’s sport “only”. Much like many monied people showing off their Ferrari’s, Lambo’s, Corvettes, ect. the “pretty rifles” and Safari Clothing were pretty much a “status symbol”!

However, with the prices of today, most hunters that really want to do Africa can make that dream a reality. Many of these hunters are much more firearms knowledgeable. They chose rifles for their practicality, their function and reliability in the field. Many of these same hunters can’t afford the “Ferrari Rifle” and make the hunt. Also, many of today’s hunters actually want to participate in the hunt ……not have the PH drive up to the animal, set up the shot for the hunter (?), and not want the PH to kill the animal after the client has “muffed” the shot!

Obviously, there are exceptions to my comments and I’m very happy for those that are firearm knowledgeable, have beautiful firearms that are also very functional tools, and are true hunters! memtb

Last edited by memtb; 07/13/23.

You should not use a rifle that will kill an animal when everything goes right; you should use one that will do the job when everything goes wrong." -Bob Hagel

“I’d like to be a good rifleman…..but, I prefer to be a good hunter”! memtb 2024