My dad used to drive part time for a guy named Fred Ford. Fred had a straight truck that could be used to haul cattle, pigs or sheep. Once in a while dad would take us with him to go to Des Moines and we hauled bagged feed from a mill in Des Moines back to Winterset. Another guy in town named Shorty Thompson had a fleet of dump trucks, water haulers and cattle trucks. His cattle trucks were always at the Madison County sale barn every Tuesday. Shorty might of been 4'8" but he had his own little kingdom.

It wasn't hard to find someone who could haul pigs, cattle or sheep back in those days. 99% of them were straight trucks. Many farmers had sides on their pickups that could haul one or two cows and 6 or 8 sheep or pigs. I think the side boards were made by a company named Omaha as I recall. I haven't seen one of those for years. That was back when an average farm was 80 acres and they had 3 or 4 kids who got on a school bus every day.

kwg

That would be Omaha Standard pickup livestock side racks.

kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 07/19/23.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.