In Finn Aagaard's article on the 30-06 in his NRA book "Hunting Rifles & Cartridges," he reports using 53 grains of IMR-4831 as a max load under the 250-grain Barnes RNSP, getting 2,300 fps in a 22" barrel. I'd start around 49 grains and work up.

The point was to test the 250 Barnes against more modern designs, and the Barnes did not fare well.

The performance of the 200- and 250-grain RNSP bullets was rather disappointing. They had a tendency to come apart or lose their lead cores, and the 200-gr. boat tail bettered them, while the 180-grain Hornady came within a hair of matching them. If these bullets have any purpose, it is as stoppers to be slammed into large, heavy-boned game at close range. I have to infer that they are not up the the work.

Later in the article, he advocates for the 180-grain Nosler Partition as an all-around choice, and says
...when the utmost in bone-smashing penetration is imperative, the 200-gr. Nosler Partition bullet is the only way to go.

Many years ago I tried the 250 Barnes in a 24" 1903 Springfield with H4831 (?). I think I got something like 2,150 fps.

I still have a few on my loading bench.

Okie John

Originally Posted by Brad
If Montana had a standing army, a 270 Win with Federal Blue Box 130's would be the standard issue.