I've flip flopped on my interest in buying a 9.3x62 a few times. For my use it would be a dedicated black bear rifle.

More often than not I simply use a .30-06 with 180 grain Nosler Partitions. Its always worked out well especially given that the rifle is a Ruger 77 RLS Ultralight carbine that is certainly handy in the brush.

I've used a bunch of other rifles and calibres too and taken 17 bears at this point ranging from average to a few big ones including one that had a skull that squared 20-5/8" and had a hide that measured 6' 8" from nose to tail.

I once even used a .375 H&H with 300 Hornaday round noses. That bear was average sized and running. One shot put it down within 30 yards which seemed good for a startled bear full of adrenaline. That shot entered through the rear ribs and exited the shoulder. I no longer own that rifle but perhaps the '06 would have done as well. I'm not really sure.

Right now I've got my eye on a particularly nice Husqvarna 1600 chambered in 9.3x62. I've never found black bears particularly rough to put down but I've heard so much good about the 9.3 that I have to ask, would it offer anything much over a .30-06 in this case?

"Hail to the King, Baby!"
Ash, Army of Darkness