Trust that your day is going well.

Working on another build concept: that of a medium-medium with in the .366-.375 range. This would be a thumper, but less recoil than a .375HH or Ruger variant and at least one round more capacity than either. I'd be quite happy with MV anywhere between 2300 and 2600FPS (plus or minus) with a suitable bullet.

I've narrowed the chambering down to 9.3x62 or a variant of .375 Whelen (regular, AI, etc.), and would get JES to do a rebore on something else I owned on a modern long action. Not interested in other options beside these two.

The style would be mannlicher (stuetzen) stock, bolt action, with iron sights and detachable low power scope, a 2 1/2x or so. Blind magazine (for portability and weight, no protruding magazine). Barrel length probably something between 17-20 inches. Likely shots would range to 100 yds or so.

Application would be Northern New England Moose and black bear. Scrambling around the mountains and deep (probably snowy) woods, so something on the lighter side weight-wise. Another possible application - although a stretch - would be to strap to my back as potential defense for bears while salmon fishing in Alaska. Not much bothered by recoil, so it can be as light as possible.

Understanding that these two chamberings are quite close, and either will do the job handily, I'm interested in your opinions with respect to these two. And value first hand experience shared.

Mebbe splitting hairs, but this IS the fire, so lob the question out there.

Thanks in advance!

Carry what you’re willing to fight with - Mackay Sagebrush

Perfect is the enemy of good enough