Originally Posted by cra1948
Originally Posted by stxhunter
We do down here, my brother has one he spent a couple of grand on, it can carry a 5 or 10-lb bait is what I believe he said. Pretty much all the serious shark fishermen use them for taking bait out past the surf, up to half a mile or more, usually over 1000 yards.

Thanks Roger. Most of the you tube videos I've seen are people promoting something and don't show any down side or any "be careful not to do this" stuff. This place is always a good spot to hear from real people and their real experiences. (Of course you do have to filter through the bs artists and nitwits, but we all know who they are by now.)

The only one I've been looking at is made specifically for fishing and can lift about 7 1/2 pounds. You can get stuff out there a long way, for sure, but one thing I've been thinking is to keep in mind that no matter how far out I can fly it with a drone, I've got to crank it back in manually. Also, the more line you put out, the less you have left on the reel if the fish decides to head for the Canary Islands or something.
We attack a rope with a clip to the line and paddle out in a kayak and pull the leader/weight up and carry it back in if it's not too rough, it sure beats reeling it in.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter