I have an '03A3 Remington, undistinguished as re-arsenaled, but for a distinctly greenish finish! An OK rifle but I like the '03 better for the all milled parts. Of course the 'penalty' in the aft barrel sight requiring far better eyes than mine. I also have a Smith Corona sporter where somebody dropped a lot of dough, all for largely naught. The blue job displays the heavy handed over polishing, the modified bolt handle is ugly and the irony of the receiver tapped only for a Lyman 48 sight which, pristine, is the crown jewel and reason I bought it. It wears a Bishop sporting stock which misses the "well crafted mark" aesthetically with very nice milled steel '03 bottom metal. A Jaeger adjustable The Lyman sight alone was worth most of what I paid for, to me, a upper class "truck gun".
To me, the push-pull of the high number 'A3 and the '03 variation is all a matter of the trade between superior aft sight versus superior bottom metal. For me the issue solved in sheer luck of finding a genuine Springfield NRA Sporter, minty as all original for $250 over three decades ago & a keeper for sure!
Just my such Springfield experience/acquisition story.
Best!
John