There was a recent thread asking this question. A couple years ago, I had an encounter with an unidentified wild canine I believe was a wolf, in an area no wolf should be in.

I was calling coyotes late in the afternoon in February of 2020. This animal approached, not furtively like a coyote usually does in the daytime, but quite confidently. I first spotted it coming over a hill about 300 yards away, and thought it was a large dog. But as it got closer, it definitely looked more wolf-like. He came to a stop about 220-250 yards away and stopped, looking my way. He was upwind of me, I'm pretty sure he couldn't smell me, but he definitely became suspicious and stopped, sniffing at the air.

He never came any closer, and eventually turned and casually loped away back over the hill. I never tried to shoot him, because I wasn't sure what he was.

I know the photo is blown up from a long distance and not detailed. I took it as he turned away from me, and stopped mid turn for one last look. The critter wouldn't come within about 250 yards of me.

[Linked Image]

What do you all think?