Originally Posted by WGM
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Not all magazines allow you to start "jammed". Tikka's and Sako's come to mind right away. You must start in the "jumped" mode. Not unless you feed it one at a time which isn't the purpose of a magazine fed rifle.

It never ceases to amaze me that some rifles are engineered without taking the entire system into consideration. As far as I'm concerned, there should never be an excuse for a production rifle to have a magazine that doesn't allow cartridges with bullets seated at least slightly into the lands to easily fit & cycle thru the magazine.

You can ALWAYS choose to not seat out into the lands, but to have to turn your repeater into a single-shot in order to do it is simply absurd.
Originally Posted by WGM
Originally Posted by bigwhoop
Not all magazines allow you to start "jammed". Tikka's and Sako's come to mind right away. You must start in the "jumped" mode. Not unless you feed it one at a time which isn't the purpose of a magazine fed rifle.

It never ceases to amaze me that some rifles are engineered without taking the entire system into consideration. As far as I'm concerned, there should never be an excuse for a production rifle to have a magazine that doesn't allow cartridges with bullets seated at least slightly into the lands to easily fit & cycle thru the magazine.

You can ALWAYS choose to not seat out into the lands, but to have to turn your repeater into a single-shot in order to do it is simply absurd.

Not sure if l’m on this right but, l just removed a spacer from a internal box mag to achieve this. I called Browning which owns Winchester. They have no info on Conn. built rifles, they don’t have boxes in the newer rifles at all. I suppose the spacer prevents handloading to sell more factory ammo or just prevent accidents. With a liability what it is even back then l think it’s not about selling ammo, and no boxes now is cheaper manufacturing.

Last edited by anothergun; 08/16/23.