Was in a gun & pawn shop today in Blackfoot, Idaho & was about to leave when I spotted this tall trophy standing in a corner so I eased up closer because I thought I had seen it before.
Sure enough it was Elgin Gates 1960 Weatherby Award they use to hand out to the most deserving hunter for that year. I had seen it a couple of times in Elgin's house in Idaho Falls in the late 70's but almost missed it today.
I talked to the owner of the shop & he said that Elgin's son Randy had brought it & some of Elgin's trophies in for display. There was a Kudu, Gemsbok, Impala, Blesbok, Springbok & a Polar Bear on the wall. I remember being in Elgin's garage once & he had 2 full maned Lions that were life size mounts sitting on the floor, along with a huge Cape Buffalo with a bullet hole through the skull plate, straight on!
I never met Randy, I think he was either in California or in the military, I just met Dolly & Robert back in the day. I would see Elgin about once a week for a couple of years at that time. He was a very fine shot & told some wonderful stories.
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Dick

Last edited by Idaho1945; 08/16/23.