Call it denial, if you will (although sitting in front of the puter with strong reading glasses is simply my reality - no denying that), but I think there are many good choices to be had in sights other than factory opens before one needs to concede the "need" for a scope on a lever. At 50, I certainly know what the loss of my youthful vision means. However, I have found, since I yet have good distance vision, that a rear peep has extended my ability to use "opens." I also know that the use of a second aperture on the front - a globe sight- can allow very functional use of iron sights for target work.

Handgun sights are another story. However, I have learned from them, even though my eyes and brain tell me that they are quite fuzzy, that, with practice, I can still use them in a functional and productive manner. I just need to practice more. Imagine that. I get - make that "need" - to do again, what I did as a youngster; get out and shoot more. It is less of an option than it was when my vision was better. And who said getting older has no benefits?

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.