After reading the thread about NULA in the other section of the forum and your Rifleshooter article mentioned in it, it got me to thinking. Have you, or anyone else for that matter, tried checking or comparing balance "FOC" style as an archer would with an arrow? That is, how far the balance point is in front of or behind the center point of the rifles OAL and how that affects how well you shoot the rifle?

I just checked two rifles. The Remington 223 ADL is just over 43" and the balance point is roughly 1 1/2" behind center (right at the recoil lug). The 1895GS is roughly 36" and the balance point is about 1/4'' in front of the center point (on the forearm almost to the receiver) the way it is set up. These balance points are with the rifles unloaded so of course it would move some with them loaded. I believe the 1895 is a little steadier for me off hand (especially when loaded) than the ADL but I'm not the best off-hand shot to judge by.

Using this calculator https://www.bowhunting.com/arrow-foc-calculator/ and figuring the recoil pad as the nock the foc for the 1895 would be .7% and for the ADL it would be -2.3%.

Food for thought, or am I just being loony?

Dave.

Those who are always shooting off at the mouth usually aren't shooting straight.

What do you get when you cross a polar bear with a seal? A polar bear.

Did you hear they arrested the devil? Yeah, they got him on possession.
www.wvcdl.org