Hey, folks,

I just moved to Clarksville this year, from Seattle, WA. I have hunted up in Kentucky on my brother-in-law's property last year, which was my first ever deer hunt, but I have never hunted public land. Tennessee Unit L, where I am, has a season from Dec. 15 - Jan. 6, and I thought I might try to do some hunting, but I really don't even know where to start. It's very late in the game, obviously ... I actually just intended to hunt in KY with my brother-in-law, but things have been so hectic this year that I missed rifle season, and this is the last weekend of muzzleloader season, but I'm sick and don't think I can go.

So ... does anyone have any tips for someone who is fairly new to hunting, doesn't know the area he now lives in, and is feeling a bit overwhelmed at the prospect of hunting public land for the first time? Should I just resign myself to waiting until next year, since it's so late in the year?

Oh, and by the way ... I'm not looking for a trophy, just some time in the woods and hopefully some meat in the freezer. A doe is more than fine (and I see that TN has a "Type 094 permit" that I'll need for antlerless deer).

Thanks for any advice!

All the best,
Liam