Originally Posted by Magnum_Bob
Op did well are they 6 star or 8? They are both good but the 8 star are skived, crimp easier and load 3 times more easy. The old WW compression formed hull is the best in 16 ga. I load and shoot alot of Remington black beauties but 4 or 5 loads and they are toast as well as being a pita to load. The 16 ga federal is a staple in my 16 use but they aren't skived and 4-5 times they are toast also ( atleast the vintage I have aren't) . After almost 40 years of 16 ga scrounging I have about a 1000 ww comp formed 16 ga hulls. I'm about to start loading them again, I have wwAA 16 ga wads, WSF powder, ww 209's and Magnum 7 1/2 shot 1.oz loads . For doves. I have enough vintage factory 16's to last longer than I will for upland here in SD. I like the smell of fresh fired federal papers with Alliant powders...mb
Hi Bob,
I have 3 boxes of 6pt and 2 boxes of 8pt. I noticed the 6pt have been hot melted in the center about 1/8” diameter I’m hoping that doesn’t interfere with reloading. I asked the guy I bought them from to check and see if he has more 8pt boxes because I would like to swap the 6pt for them. He’s checking. Either way I’ll make the 6pt work for reloading and can purchase a skive tool if needed. Can also use an overshot card if there is a small hole in the center of the crimp. Thanks for that intel! Boy howdy, you got a nice stash of WW comp in 16! I have roughly 200 in 20 gauge and now somewhere around 175 in 16. Dove opens up here Friday and we have to use steel shot where I hunt. I’ve already loaded up some dove loads using Federal hull’s, F209A, Blue Dot, 7/8 steel shot, and BP1680 wads. These loads bust clay beautifully, can’t wait to try them on Dove.

Nothing beats the smell of a freshly fired reload on the morning of Dove opener. Lol

Dan