My son and I spent time at the gun club this morning, checking our hunting rifles. I wanted to try the 30-06 ammo I'd loaded with the 130 grain Barnes TTSX bullet. That's light for a 30-06, but it's a proven hunting bullet because of the all copper construction. This is the tipped version. With a top charge of Varget it's doing over 3200 fps and shoots quite flat to 300+ yards. A real change of pace for me, and for the old 30-06 Springfield rifle!

Shooting it at Gavin's UR ranch last week:

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Today at the gun club, 100, 200, 300 yard berms:

The first two were just about touching, I dropped the third one a bit low. Didn't have a lot of this ammo loaded, so I didn't shoot more groups, just adjusted the point of impact to the bullseye and shot steel at 100, 200 & 300 yards.

I'd say it's good to go! Headed out this afternoon for a bear hunt with my son, first time we've been able to get out so far this season though it opened August 1st. I'll take the predator call. No baiting or hounds allowed here in Washington. Going to a favorite hunting area of mine, not far from home.

It's very satisfying to see Dad's old rifle, sporterized after WWII by his father, shooting so well. There's no bedding, the action is just screwed into the full length stock. I don't remember it shooting this well in the past, but until recent weeks I hadn't shot Dad's rifle since the 1970's. I remember buying that 2-7x Redfield for him, in the 70's as well. Apparently the old barrel likes Barnes bullets.

Regards, Guy