I was in a similar position as you a couple of years ago (in my mid 30s) when I set a goal of taking an Dall, MT goat, moose, caribou and brown bear. My plan was Dall by 40 since opportunity is shrinking every year. Then MT Goat by 42 since I’m still in very good shape. I will probably plan a caribou or moose after that and brown bear last. The bear hunts I’ve looked into seem more glassing and less hiking so plan to do that last when I’m older.

Here is where I’m at:

For Dall sheep, I wanted to do a walk in backpack style hunt in AK. Hunts for Dall sheep can vary greatly depending on location and transportation used so you really need to decide what you want out of the experience. It took two trips but I was successful last year. Both trips will be hard to beat and I think about them all the time. Highly recommend a Dall hunt.

I am now booked for a MT Goat hunt next Fall in AK. This will be a boat based hunt with a spike camp. Can’t wait and training now. I wanted a hunt that offered good hair quality and the ability to do some fishing once my hunt is over.

I’m researching caribou trips now and thinking about Canada as an option but not sure I want to deal with the extra travel. For this trip, I’m looking into horse hunts. Keep in mind, AK is very easy to get to as well.

Also, I planned to have a hunting partner go with me on my first sheep hunt but they were not as committed to preparing so I had to leave them home. It is difficult to find someone that wants the same experience as you and is willing to do what it takes to be successful. Some guys just breakdown on the rougher trips and you want to give it everything you have. I’ve decided to enjoy other hunts with buddies and go alone on my sheep and goat trips.