Originally Posted by Calhoun
My notes show that I've seen either the top part of the page this was on, or the previous page. But it stopped before getting to this gun. Most entries on that partial page were accepted March/April of 1896, many shipped in the fall of 1896.

While the first shipments received by Savage were in the 5000 serial number range, the ledger books start at serial number 1 (blank entries, tho). 1895 entries start at 3156, end at 8200. So 5797 is 2,600 entries from the lowest 1895 entered, and 2,403 from the last 1895 entered. Right in the middle of the entries.. but not middle of the book.

If it was stamped later and was looking for an unused 1895 number, it's at an odd place. Number of blank entries earlier in the book.
Thanks for the context info.
Obviously the deluxe wood and the serial number style do not fit squarely in any known Savage model/configuration. Doesn't mean it's not a "Savage" rifle.
We've seen and know of plenty of non-catalogued examples from 1895 to 1899 to 99.

Granted we've only seem limited pics at this time. (thanks to LBK for what we got!)
Some look at this rifle and see red flags all over the place. That's fine.
Some see deluxe 1899 wood on a 1895 receiver with a unique serial number style that is intriguing. Fine too.

If anyone gets another shot at that rifle in person, some pics, s.n.'s wood, more would be good.

Meanwhile I'm more interested in knowing about the rifle than the rifle itself. That's how I roll. smile

"Every day above ground is a good day."