Originally Posted by carrollco
My son is an accomplished guitarist. He started out studying classical guitar and won his first competition he entered as a 15 year old competing against college students. I love blue grass and other American root music. He called my music the illiterate inbred music of Southern Appalachia. As he nears 40; he has come to his senses and has developed a love of flatpicking and bluegrass. Practices Tony Rice, Dan Tyminski, Norman Blake, Doc Watson and such. He was sub for our pastor for next 2 Sunday and had the the music also. He did some nice hymns bluegrass style on his Martin D-28. I’m proud of him and his talents. I also love Sacred Harp singing and acapella bluegrass gospel. Recently watched various YouTube versions of Wonderous Love. Great stuff. Wish I had musical talent, although I have visual art degrees.

I'm reminded of this dialog in Crossroads

You came to us as a classical student. The word "prodigy" was actually used on occasion. And you have proven to be one of the finest guitarists in the school...Mr. Martone, a word of advice: Don't serve two masters. The discipline of the classical is very exacting. And if you persist in the other, you will squander your talent.

What if the other is my talent?

Excellence in primitive music is cultural. You have to be born to it. Now, you were allowed to leave secondary school early to pursue classical studies.
I suggest you reexamine your priorities.

Which came after Eugene did his Mozart run

Me