I bought another even smaller mossberg 510 pump in 20 gauge for my now 9 year old daughter and 8 year old son to use. I loaded some 3/4 ounce loads in aa cases with 12.5 g of ww super handicap with clay buster mint color wads. They clocked around 1150 fps but still have a bit of recoil in the newer tiny 510. They aren't too bad in the slightly bigger 88 Jr.

I decided to try one step lighter so I got a 5/8 ounce bushing and some 28 gauge fiber wads. I also went down from a mec 13 powder bushing to a 12A. I put the 28 gauge fiber wad that's about 1/8th inch thick in the bottom of the mint cb wad and top with 5/8 ounce 7.5 shot. The crimp nice so tomorrow I'll go clock a few and see how the recoil is.

It shouldn't be much at all and the kids did ok with the 3/4 ounce at 1150 but my 9 year old daughter is only 50 pounds so she wanted to see if we could go a bit lighter. I hand weighed some 5/8 ounce loads and used a cheerio as a spacer before ordering the fiber wads and 5/8 charge bar. She seemed ok with those so hopefully they shoot ok.

I also got some bpi long 20 gauge wads for lighter loads. The 28 gauge fiber wads don't fit in them but they seemed to crimp pretty well without a spacer. I loaded a few of those to check too. If they do ok I may just move forward with it and eliminate the spacer. I think they'd be better with a bulkier powder like green dot taking up a bit more space.

Bb