Thanks for the data Biathlon Man. A little more redneck testing. Bullet prices are going up so I have re-looked at the Speer 270gr Mag-tip Hot Core. Over the years I have shot almost all the lead core 9.3s and some monos including Speer's bullet. Today I compared the Speer 270gr with Hornady's 286gr Interlock using sifted dirt as the test medium. Historically I have shot both of these bullets through up to 7 1-gallon water jugs with no bullet capture. I have heard the Speer bullet praised for price and precision, but dinged for being too soft - hence the dirt. I filled three boxes with dirt screened (1/4") of debris and shot at 25 yards. I wanted to assure the bullet would not blow at close range. My rifle has a 20" barrel.

Data Results:

Bullet, Velocity fps, Penetration, Retained Weight, Expansion (x original)
Speer 270gr, 2323 fps, 17", 59%, .59" @ 1.61
Hornady 286gr, 2300 fps, 17", 50%, .70" @ 1.91

Penetration was identical, Speer had greater retained weight, and Hornady greater expansion. This loading provides 225 yard maximum point blank range (6" target diameter). I have no aversion to hunting with these bullets, but maybe "soft" is a fair conclusion. Different medium than Biathlon Man, but similar result.