Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by southtexas
I'll be the outlier here. I love M70's and don't disagree with what all have said about the post 64's. But I do have an '06 made in '64 and a 225 made in '65. Yes, they are ugly and cheaply made, but they must have put good barrels on them, because they are both tack drivers. And I can't put my finger on why, but I enjoy carrying them in the field.

Maybe I just feel sorry for them! LOL

That could be, but don't think the pre 64 model 70's didn't have damn good barrels. My thought is maybe the huge freefloat on the post 64's may be why yours shoot so well. Not necessarily because the barrel is better. Just slightly better mechanics. Those that don't know, it's the mechanics of the rifle that make it shoot well. Some pre 64's shoot damn well in their natural state, but if you tweak them a bit, they are even better..

I wasn't going to comment on this thread because the OP was about model 94's. My grandpa collected those. I never liked them because they kicked the snot out of me when I was 11 or 12. However, I recently saw a nice 1955 (I believe) model 94 30-30 that sold for $550.00. Had it not already been sold, I would have bought it at that price.

BSA: You’re probably right about the freefloat. It’s for sure that the wood will never get close to the barrel!,