Originally Posted by Timbermaster
I was elk hunting a few years back and a grouse hopped up on a log about 40 yds away, just sat up there. I knocked my bird arrow with a Judo point and let it fly. I center punched the grouse and it disappeared in a cloud of feathers on the opposite side of the log. I could see a commotion and my arrow flopping around. That grouse flopped up onto it’s feet, and took off catching the wind and sailing down the mountain through the timber. My arrow was sticking halfway out both sides of the bird. Never found it. There was a quarter-sized chunk of meat on the other side of the log that the Judo ripped out of that grouse.

Timbermaster;
Good afternoon, thanks for the wonderful hunting story.

Since you've officially opened the "how tough can Blue Grouse be" stories and by the way I totally get that happening to you, I'll share our strangest.

In the late '80's we used to wander up onto a chunk of mountain that had no roads, so other than the rancher checking on his range cattle a buddy and I were the only two crazy enough to go there. I'll note that we were both much younger, fitter and indeed a bit touched to go some places we ended up, but what wonderful memories we've got because we did.

Anyways we used to bump into so many big flocks of Blues we decided to drag a .22 along with us. I can't say which one went along, we both had a few so likely the lightest one since we Canucks cannot be trusted with handguns afield.

We were sneaking across a bit of a Sagebrush opening when we saw a good sized flock spread out all around. Buddy took careful aim while I watched with my binos and at the shot, the head dropped onto it's breast indicating a perfect neck shot to me.

However as we were walking the 35 odd yards to pick it up, it began to flap it's wings furiously, with the head still hanging down loosely. It rather sort of "helicoptered" up and then pitched out over a fairly significant canyon wall we'd been skirting, finally dropping out of sight about 100yds into the middle of the tree filled canyon.

For sure we were disappointed in the loss of the meal, but nonetheless an illustration of how determined some things are to live perhaps?

All the best, thanks again and good hunting.

Dwayne

The most important stuff in life isn't "stuff"