Originally Posted by LHS905
I need a little help. I'm stuggling with an older T/C Renegade .54 (I guess they all are any more). I have not shot it too much in the last few years, but have really struggled with it's accuracy. 30 years ago it shot great, I can't figure out what might have changed-yeah I know-my eyes, but other than that.

I know their twist rate is intermediate, but I used to get acceptable accuracy with either patched round balls or bullets, including Power Belts. The last few trips to the range were to try and wring out round ball accuracy for a hunt. .530 Hornady swaged round balls with heavy blue stripe pillow ticking patches greased accordingly and 90 grains of 777 most recently, but had troubles with 2F BP as well. I haven't been able to keep 3 rounds on a 14" target at 100 yards. 50 yards produces 8-9" groups.

Can you "shoot out" a muzzleloader barrel. Am I now limited to 50 yards and in???

Any thoughts from this knowledgable group would be appreciated.

LHS

Use 70gr 777.
You may even need to include a fiber wad. My best recommendation for patches are lubed pillow tickers. Google Search "October Country oiled pillow ticker patches" and best bets are the 015 thickness. I've been using theirs for years. Think I still have some bear grease-lubed ones in my muzzleloaders tools box.

Last edited by GoexBlackhorn; 10/07/23.