Like many here, I grew up in SE Texas, we ran deer with dogs until they outlawed them, around '69 or so. Anyhow, I saw a couple older Mod 740s, 30-06 in our group or neighboring lease. Saw many Mod 742s, majority in 30-06. The one my Dad had ( and I used a few years) was a solid 6" (with a 2x7 Weaver) at 100. When Federal came out with their Red Box ammo, loaded with 165 Sierra BT, that brought it down to 4" groups. No sweat as I never shot a deer/hog over 50 steps with it, usually in bow range, ha. BUT, it was a jammo-matic on steroids. The very few I saw in .308, and 6mm Remington were easily 1.5" shooters. Not as prone to jamming either. I shot a Model Four in 270 that was like a good bolt gun! I had a Belgium BAR 270 like that too. The one Mod 750 carbine I had briefly in 35 Whelen was also very accurate. I could never warm up to the Remington pump, but everyone knew they shot well ( from friends who used them that is). I might "try " another Mod 742 again IF it was in 308 or 6mm. I think they work best with short action rounds/