So,

I have a couple of #5 Rolling Block rifles/actions that I've always intended to redo. One was a 7x57mm with a shot out barrel and rough wood, etc. thus gives the opportunity to start fresh. The rifles were rough, so not military collectibles and no concerns on outcomes.

So, I've gone back and forth on what cartridge I could go to as I work through other projects over the years. As for looks, I've pretty much decided on the sporterized look I'll go with. Round sporter 24 to 26" barrel, semi Monti Carlo raised butt with check piece, scoped, all blued, etc.

However, it the cartridge I've not been able to decide on. Seriously thought about a new 7x57 barrel, 7-30 Waters, 30-30 AI, 357 Mag or 6.5x55. As for use, perhaps deer from a blind, mostly targets for fun and just because I I think it would just be a cool looking.rifle to have.

I waver on the 7mm, for I have 2 7mm-08s, one in a Mauser 48 that is in the process of becoming a Stutzen rifle. I have 2 other 30-30s in single shot rifles. The 357 would be the cheapest to shoot, but really no need for the longer barrel and it's really a large frame for the cartridge. The 6.5x55 would be fine for deer here and if I handload I could keep the pressure low. 7-30 Waters is a nice thought, but I already have 7mm08 a d 30-30. I like the thought of a 327 Fed Magnum and it looks like chamber pressure might be ok. Not interested in a 38-55 and I have a couple of 22 Hornets.

So while the 357 Magnum seems to be the most practical, any thoughts on other cartridges I should think about?