Wife and I gave up on the Exchange and the Commissary. The Exchange might make sense in a state with high sales tax but it is rare we find a bargain.
The Commissary has gone so far downhill I doubt it can recover. Prices on average are the same as local food stores. Then you get hit with a 5% surcharge at the end of your bill. Then you are expected to tip the bagger for taking everything to your car.
Our son moved back to Alaska this year and when we visited him our plans were to hit the Commissary and stock up his pantry with low cost goodies. The only thing worth buying was one gallon of milk.
At one point there was no bigger fan of the commissary than me. But today it is not worth the trouble. Costco is cheaper on any item they both sell.
Every time we travel we always try to visit a comm or BX if it is on our travel route. So far every visit in the last 5 years has been met with disappointment.

The Exchange is trying anything to keep their doors open. To bad they won't simply lower the prices.
It is a shame such a great benefit was allowed to simply go away.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.