Originally Posted by beretzs
Originally Posted by 79S
I’m going with 06 because even as a territory in 1958, 06 ammo was plentiful, doubt much 358 Winchester ammo floating around up here at the time.

Quick story that somewhat relates. I have an older Marine Raider buddy from WWII who is 99 or maybe a 100 this year. He was sorta like a Grandfather to my first company and Detachment One. He was always at special occasions we held and always the special guest. Rode rubber boats into Makin and some other Jap held ground before mainstream Marines hit the beach.. Anyhow after WWII he went to school, became a biologist. He purchased a M70 270 Winchester and then moved to Alaska and stayed there for 30-40 years. Anyhow, we had alot in common as Marines but man, he had some awesome accounts of running over the Alaska landscape with his 270. I have some hardcopy pictures I'll get out one of these days see if I can get them posted up. He had some large bear, moose, caribou, etc he took while he lived there. At the time when I met him I was a young SSgt and I remember saying "Chuck, you used a 270 for everything".. He responded he never had any trouble taking animals and loved that old rifle. Haven't heard from him since our last Raider reunion last year, but man, the stories he told me from 2003 till about 2016 everytime we'd see one another were amazing, not to be outdone with what he did as a Raider but very cool nonetheless.

Chuck is still around and headed the Alaskan DNR. He also carried a Model 1917 converted to 375H&H. You are correct, Scotty great stories and a great guy.

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its
limits.- Albert Einstein