bob - good point about "living right" and longevity. I've been really lucky in that respect because I've never smoked, have always worked out, have stayed active. Except for my college years, haven't drank much either. I also have longevity on both sides of my family. I'm hoping to still be hunting at 80, some of my relatives have.

Several have commentted that they go slower now than in their prime. This hit me ~ 2 years ago. I can still go all out but notice I get stiff with a few more aches and pains the next day or two which requires an "easy" day after 2-3-4 days of going all out. I honestly thought I wasn't in good enough shape. I came to realize my conditioning is fine but my body complains more now than it used to.

Also agree on paying attention to the things that matter more as we get older/wiser. I've grown much more appreciative of the whole time element. At 44, I can see that we each have a finite time on this planet. I've had enough close people leave this life unexpectedly to appreciate the fact that you never know if your best hunting buddy is going to be with you next year. Same goes for Dad's. I've come to appreciate the moments I have in special places, with special people, doing special things. If I couldn't hunt anymore, I have a large supply of memories from the past 30+ years hunting. I've not shot the biggest bucks, bulls, bears, but I have had some fantastic hunts with people closest to me. I've learned to not take those for granted.

Just hanging around camp at night means more now than it used to. I took naps a couple of nice aftenoons last year in Idaho. Mid-afternoon naps in mountain meadows in elk country are fantastic. It doesn't get much better than that - taking a nap in God's country.

Good thread.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.